What is platelet-rich plasma or PRP? Why is it important?
At Coastal Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center, we are proud to utilize a specialized substance called Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP). Platelet-rich plasma is a by-product of blood that supplies the surgical site with a high concentration of the patient’s own blood platelets. This technique prompts rapid vascularization, bone and gum tissue growth, and speeds up healing to offer patients a quicker recovery.
Platelet-rich plasma is an innovative treatment option because it naturally accelerates the body’s ability to heal. Platelets facilitate clotting and release growth factors, which allow your body to recover efficiently. By supplying the surgical area with concentrated platelets, the rate of blood clotting and growth factor increases, allowing the body to heal.
Patients who receive PRP during their procedure enjoy several benefits, such as
- Convenient treatment: The PRP method is easy to utilize in various procedures.
- Faster healing time: Tissue and bone healing is enhanced by the increased platelet levels.
- Safer procedure: The PRP uses the patient’s own blood, so no chemical or foreign additives are necessary.
- Cost-effective solution: Using the patient’s own blood decreases the cost involved with harvesting platelets elsewhere.
Can platelet-rich plasma be used during my procedure?
Platelet-rich plasma can be utilized in a variety of oral surgical procedures, including
- General or wisdom tooth extraction
- Bone grafting for dental implants
- Gum tissue grafting
- Sinus lifting
- Ridge augmentation
- Closure of cleft lip and palate defects
- Repair of fistulas between the sinus cavity and mouth
If you would like to learn more about PRP or any other oral surgical procedures, please contact Coastal Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center. We are happy to discuss your surgical options, answer any questions you may have, and utilize platelet-rich plasma to offer optimal results.