Dental implants are titanium inserts that fit in the jaw, right where the missing tooth used to be. They heal in such a way that they can be used to support a single tooth or multiple teeth. They will look, feel, and function just like natural teeth, restoring your confidence and smile. We offer a variety of procedures at our office in Santa Maria, CA.
What are they?
Dental implant restorations commonly include three components:
- Implant post – a titanium screw that comes in a variety of lengths and diameters. This is the same time-tested material used by surgeons for artificial joints. It is inserted into the jaw and will fuse with the bone to act as the tooth root.
- Abutment – connects the post to the crown (prosthesis).
- Crown or prosthesis – attached to the dental implants by the abutment. The crown is the tooth, so it’s what you see and use to chew. It looks and functions like a natural tooth and is designed to match the shape and color of adjacent teeth.
What are the benefits?
They are self-supporting and do not rely on natural teeth for stability. They are expected to last many years and may even last a lifetime when properly maintained. The most common benefits include
- Improved aesthetics
- Increased stability of the dental implants or prosthesis
- Reduced bone loss
- Improved comfort and function
- Preserved help of adjacent teeth
- Long-term solution
Are dental implants right for me?
The best way to know is to schedule a consultation appointment with Dr. Pitrowski or Dr. Goldberg in our Santa Maria, CA, office. Your consultation will include a detailed history of your condition, a complete oral examination, and a review of your X-rays. Doctors Goldberg and Pitrowski will develop the best treatment plan for you.
The cost of dental implants also varies from case to case and can be determined after your initial appointment. A variety of factors contribute to costs, and we would be happy to give you an accurate estimate once your oral surgeon develops your treatment plan.
Once you’ve had your consultation, chosen your anesthesia, and gone home to review your pre- and post-operative instructions, you will return to the office on another day for your surgical appointment. At your surgical appointment, your oral surgeon will answer any last questions you may have and administer your sedation. Once you are comfortable, Dr. Goldberg or Dr. Pitrowski will begin the procedure.
In most cases, the first procedure involves only the placement of the titanium post. Your doctor will place it into the empty tooth socket and stitch it up; over the next few months, the post will fuse with the jaw bone. Once the integration of the screw is complete, you will return to have the crown attached via the abutment. In some cases, the abutment will have been attached during the initial procedure, but more often, it is placed at the same time as the prosthesis.
Dental Implants in Santa Maria, CA
If you have questions and want to learn more, we invite you to contact us at Coastal Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center to schedule a consultation with Dr. Goldberg or Dr. Pitrowski. Our office and surgical staff members are happy to answer any questions you may have. Our goal is to ensure you receive the high-quality care you deserve to restore your oral function and brilliant smile.